Fresh mozzarella pizza9:55 AM
3 years ago, I shared my basic recipe for a homemade pizza and how awesome it tasted, you can read all about it here.
The only thing I would have changed back then was the cheese going on it. Processed cheese pretty much isn't real cheese, doesn't melt well and has a disturbingly rubbery texture.
Thanks to the introduction of real buffalo milk mozzarella in the Indian market last year, the cheese issue is a thing of the past.
Mozzarella is the ideal cheese to use on a pizza and today, I decided to share our favourite recipe to pull your own at home.
You can either start with some regular pizza dough (I usually make big batches and store it in the freezer) or put a twist on it like I did for this pizza by adding dried herbs to the dough while making it (oregano is what I used this time).
I make my own tomato sauce as well, but you can get good results using a tomato concentrate paste if you are in a hurry.
If you decide to make your own sauce, simply de-seed 2 tomatoes and chop them finely. Sauté them in a little oil and mash with a potato masher as you go and season with garlic flakes and salt to taste.
- 200g of white flour
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Dried herbs to taste (optional)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2/3 cup tomato puree/sauce (homemade in this picture)
- 1 ball of fresh mozzarella diced
- Half an onion, sliced
- A few capers
How to do it:
1) To make your pizza dough, put the flour in a big mixing bowl. Dilute the yeast in a little warm (but not boiling) water with the sugar. Pour the yeast mixture in a well you made in the flour and cover with a thin layer of flour. Let it work it's magic, the yeast will be activated once it starts oozing out of the well.
2) Add the herbs, olive oil, and salt to the flour and knead to a soft elastic dough adding water to it gradually. Form a ball, cover the bowl and let the dough rise for about an hour.
3) Meanwhile, make your tomato puree from scratch if you opted for that option. Dice your mozzarella, and slice your mushrooms and onions.
4) Once the dough has risen, knock it back and flatten to a disk with your hand. The base should be about 8-9mm thick. Refrain using rolling pin, stretch it with your hands instead.
5) Preheat your oven to 200 C.
6) Spread your tomato sauce evenly on the base, sprinkle the mozzarella evenly on top of it. Add your mushrooms, onions and capers.
7) Put your pizza in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes at 200 C
A few tips before we part:
- Fresh mozzarella, contains a lot of water, squeeze it before cutting it.
- Due to the high moisture in the cheese this pizza CANNOT be made on the Wonderchef Pizza pan
- Either pre-heat a baking tray with the oven, or place your base on a piece of baking parchment and then on a mesh or wire rack to bake to ensure a non soggy crust.